Thursday, June 18, 2009


FOUNTAINS ROAD RACE
(June, 16th)


For most people yesterday was a public holiday, but for cyclist it meant another opportunity to race.

The race was held at Rynfield church in Benoni with the main event being the 96km. Cyclist could also participate in the 56km fun ride.

The woman started separately with a time gap of 10min following the men.
Standing on the start line looking at my competitors I quickly realised that I was out numbered against team Nashua, who had 4 girls in the race.

Team Nashua used their numbers to their advantage by attacking continuously. I was the only one to react, but couldn’t respond to all their attacks. Ann-Li Pretorius (Nashua) was the first to eventually get away. Nashua just repeated their tactics and soon Joanna van de Winkel (Nashua) also got away. I tried counter attacking but with one, sometimes two, Nashua girls constantly sitting my wheel I weren’t able to do anything.

Plan B - I decided to let all the girls from Nashua ride away one by one, because they made it quite obvious that that was what they were planning on doing. Then I can get away from the group on my own and catch up to them to get at least a 5th place finish.

With the whole Nashua team riding solo following each other in the wind I knew I had an advantage over them as I was sitting the first part of the race in the bunch saving some energy. Luckily my plan succeeded as I first caught up to Sanet Small (Nashua) and then Altie Pienaar (Nashua) leaving them to chase me at the end. . Lying in 3rd position I continued pacing myself trying to get closer to the 2 Nashua girls still out in front.

I didn’t see them until I crossed the finish line to realize that Joanna (Nashua) took the wrong turn just before the finish line which moved me a position up finishing 2nd on the day.

1st An-Li Pretorius (Nashua)
2nd Yolandi du Toit (Konica Minolta)
3rd Altie Pienaar (Nashua)

No comments: