Monday, July 13, 2009


Walkerville MTB Classic

The Walkerville Classic is held at Lapeng Hotel and Conference Centre to the South of Johannesburg. Race distances were 60km and 35km.

Normally the race is a very cold race in the middle of winter, but this year we were lucky with the temperature reaching 16 degrees. The wind definately made up for the cold, blowing strongly and bringing with it the cold front from the Cape.

The 60km started at 8:45am. There was a large field due to more road riders taking up MTB during the cold winter months.

The first 10km with single and jeep track on a slight ascent caused the group to break up soon after we left the start. I managed to place first lady going into the open single track. Next we reached the bottom of Platberg, the first Climb of the day.

At the top the riders had a beautiful view of the Witwatersrand and looking down I couldn’t spot any girls chasing. The route down the mountain is on a slippery jeep track with two short rocky sections. I got into a comfortable pace hoping to keep my lead to the finish.
Just before the third section, where everyone had to dismount, the 60km joined the 35km making it impossible to move past on the single track. At the portage section, I managed to pass a few riders. Unfortunately a few more sections followed where one couldn’t go past. Making it quite stressful cause I didn’t know where the other girls where lying.
The last 13km we rode straight into a head wind, where I had to use up the little energy I had left at that point!
As I crossed the finish line I believed I made it home in first place. The organizers and time keepers seemed a bit confused and I actually had to tell/ask them if I was the first lady in…..
At prize giving I was happy to find out I did indeed finish in 1st place.

No comments: