Thursday, September 24, 2009

MTN Zoo Lake Criterium

After Hill2Hill mountain bike race, I didn’t quite know what to expect for this event. I only wanted and hoped to do and feel better than what I did at my previous race.

The event was held at Zoo Lake in Johannesburg and this year Fritz Pienaar and his team organized the event. They changed the route to last year by making the riders go the opposite way around the lake. I personally enjoyed the circuit more this way, it added an extra gradual climb and it gave spectators the opportunity to see cyclist sprinting for the finishing line from 500m to go, in comparison to last years 200m.

With al the major teams (MTN, Nashua, Cycle lab, Konica Minolta) and a few individual riders present, the race was made extremely hard for the whole 25min + 1 lap.
The teams were taking turns attacking continuously which lead to the front group getting smaller each time we crossed the finish line.
The last 2km was on a gradual climb where you turned left at the top onto the finishing straight with around 500m left to the finish.

On our last lap going onto the gradual climb the pace were quite high which led to the bunch being stretched out in a line. I decided to try my luck and attacked half way up and actually got away on my own. As I turned left I managed to open a good gap on the rest of the field. As I saw the finish line getting closer I really hoped that I would stay away until crossing it. Unfortunately Cherise Taylor (MTN) and Lynette Burger (Cycle lab) came past me just before the line to take 1st and 2nd respectively.

Result

1st Cherise Taylor (MTN)
2nd Lynette Burger (Cycle lab)
3rd Yolandi du Toit (Konica Minolta)

No comments: