Thursday, February 17, 2011

African Continental XC Champions

In the past I have competed at African Continental ‘Road’ Championships but this was my first time competing in a cross country event at this level.

As it is totally different from my road cycling background, my main goal for the event was to do my best and learn as much as possible from the experience
The Championships were held on the 12th of Feb in the picturesque Jonkershoek Nature reserve which is located about 10km east of Stellenbosch.

The 4.2km race course basically consisted of an uphill and a downhill on single track, sprinkled with rocks from all different shapes and sizes. Luckily I had a full suspension bike (Specialized Era) to ride on the extremely bumpy course.
The elite ladies started just after 12pm and had to complete 5 laps of the course.

Going into the single track I found myself in 5th position. To get past riders once we were on the single track was very difficult as there was no room for passing and not everyone is willing to move aside in order for you to go by.

The heat and distance took its toll and at the end of the 5 laps I managed to work my way up into 3rd position and was very happy to win my first medal (Bronze) at African Continental Championships (MTB).

I never thought I would be able to do this in only my 3rd XC event, but I really am starting to enjoy the challenge of racing cross country and I look forward to the next one!

Final Results:
1st Yolande Speedy (RSA)
2nd Samantha Sanders (RSA)
3rd Yolandi du Toit (RSA)
4th Karien van Jaarsveld (RSA)
5th Heletje Van Staden (NAM)



No comments: