Monday, November 7, 2011

Nissan Trailseeker Marathon Series, Van Gaalen

The Gauteng based Nissan Trailseeker Series consists of 5 events with Van Gaalen being the final leg of the competition.

I really enjoy the Nissan Trailseeker races as they always offer more than just the race itself. All the race venues cater for the whole family by having restaurants, child entertainment areas, a bike wash bay, warm showers and much more. Nissan branded umbrellas are also put up providing shady viewing spots for spectators to see the riders coming in to finish. Van Gaalen Cheese Farm which hosted this particular event followed the same blueprint, but with the addition of the Magalies mountains as a spectacular backdrop.

Standing on the start line, I was happy to find out that I was leading the series with a few points over Samantha Saanders. In addition to doing my best at this particular event, I was also determined to hold on to the leader’s jersey.

The first few kilometres of the 70km route consisted of open jeep and single track. Here a small leading group of ladies formed consisting of Yolande Speedy (Team MTN Qhuebeka), Samantha Saanders (Valencia Cycles), Theresa Ralph, Karien Van Jaarsveld (Team USN) and me.

The single track led onto a steep, loose, rocky climb where Karien and I managed to distance the other girls. We crested the climb with a lead of a few seconds and from this point onwards the two of us ‘almost’ stayed together until the very end. On a few occasions I managed to drop Karien, but each time she regained contact whilst we were duelling amongst the men who had started with us.

The final part of the race contained some amazing single track on the Van Gaalen Farm itself. Upon exiting the single track I slipped and fell in the final corner, jamming my chain in the process. I jumped back on my bike, but Karien passed me as I dismounted again and franticly tried to dislodge the wedged chain. Unbeknown to me there was less than a kilometre remaining to the finish line and by the time I got going again Karien was in the final straight winning the race a mere 11 seconds in front of me.

I would have preferred the opportunity to sprint for the win, but had to settle for 2nd on the day. The good news was that my 2nd place on the day confirmed me as the winner of the Nissan Trailseeker series in 2011, adding another victory to team bizhub’s successful season! Samantha Saanders took the final spot on the podium with a fine 3rd place.

P.S. Van Gaalen Farm’s trails are exactly what race organizers said they would be – Awesome!



No comments: