Monday, February 6, 2012

Emperors Palace MTB Classic

Since my last diary, I've been spending long hours on the bike preparing for the 2012 racing season.

In the blink of an eye, the two months have passed since my last race (Southern Tropical Challenge) in December 2011.
Having done only base training up until now, I was quite apprehensive going into my first event (Emperors MTB Classic) of a new season.

The long slow miles of base training would give me the necessary fitness but racing requires an intensity which I have yet to build.
Luckily my teammate, Nicci Grobler, was also doing the event and seeing her at the start already calmed my nerves a little bit.
Nicci and I have done a few stage races together and know each other pretty well. This gave me the confidence that we would bring
the best out of each other while fending off our rivals.

As expected my legs struggled with the quick start. But soon Nicci and I settled into a steady rhythm, helping each other through
the challenging sections of the event. Nicci and I led the race from start to finish, slowing down slightly on the 2nd lap as we made our
way past the back markers on the 20km circuit.

We completed the 40km race in a quick 1h 45min and crossed the line together with Nicci taking 1st place and me in 2nd place.

I was really happy to start the season on such a positive note and looking forward to building on the success that
team bizhub – FCF have had to date in 2012.

No comments: