Monday, February 4, 2013


Cross Country Provincials series #1, Thaba Trails

I wasn’t quite sure, but I knew it had been a long time since my last cross country race. In fact, while reviewing my racing calendar I found that the last time I did a cross country race was back in 2010! Fast forward a few years and I found myself standing on the start line for the first event in the Provincial Cross Country Series, also named the The Burry Stander Memorial XCO.

Needless to say, I didn’t know what to expect from a cross country race, my competitors or my skills. The only thing I did know was that the event was held at Thaba Trails Bike Park in Alberton, which is part of my training ground, so how can one not support a local race... :)

On arriving at Thaba Trails Bike Park there was a palpable buzz in the air. The younger category riders were already out on course racing for the coveted top spots on the day.

Cross Country racing in itself is a lot more spectator friendly as riders do several laps. The laps are usually around 4 to 5km long and riders can be seen on every lap as they fly through the start/finish area before making their way onto the next lap. The supporters took full advantage of this and put up gazebos alongside the course to cheer on riders and hand up much needed sustenance to tired riders.

The Elite and Under 23 ladies set off together at 9am to do 5 laps of the 5km course. It was a flat out sprint on the 400m gravel road leading into the first single track, as riders were fighting for the lead position.

Amy MacDougall won this ‘sprint race’ and was first on course with Yolande Speedy right on her heels. I found myself lying in 5th place and by the end of lap one I moved into 3rd place, 45sec behind the 2 leaders.

The first half of the course consisted of steep, rocky single track ascents and descents. While the second half of the course was mainly on very flat slalom like single track. I managed to make up time on the first half of the course but the 2nd half suited Amy and Yolande more than me. Evidently the snaking single track, being off camber and on loose gravel, is one area where I can still improve significantly.

Amy kept her lead for the entire race, winning the first leg of the provincial series with Yolande Speedy in 2nd place, while I rounded out the podium in 3rd place.

All in all I really enjoyed the cross country race. It was very different to what I am used to in Marathon racing. There seems to be some truth in the saying – a change is as good as a holiday.

Thanks to Wendell Bowl and his team for putting together a great course and spectacular event.  

No comments: