Wednesday, April 24, 2013


Sappi Karkloof Classic

The Karkloof Classic has always been a highlight on the racing calendar as it is well organised and has a brilliant course with some spectacular riding. The race takes place in the beautiful Karkloof valley situated just outside of Howick.

Karkloof Classic is not just a one day event but presents a whole weekend of racing. The event opens up with a night race on the Friday, followed by an Enduro (downhill) event the Saturday and finishes with the blue ribbon 60km marathon event on the Sunday.

In the past, I’ve ridden Karkloof twice and on both occasions I thoroughly enjoyed the event. This time around I experienced a somewhat different Karkloof Classic. It started raining 2 days prior to the event and the deluge totalled up to 192mm of rain in the area comes Sunday. To say the course was muddy would be an understatement.

By some miracle we woke to clear skies on the morning of the event. I couldn’t believe our luck as I was prepared (as much as one can be) for a wet and cold day on the bike. Soon after we left the start line I wasn’t so sure about our ‘luck’ anymore. The few hours that the weather cleared was just enough to turn the mud from sloppy to tacky. As a result the mud stuck to everything and became the day’s main challenge.  

The ladies started in the C batch and after a few kilometres I found myself alone at the head of affairs. At one stage I thought I had gone the wrong way as riders were coming towards me from the opposite direction. If only I knew then what was lying in wait, then I would have probably turned around with them.

On the first climb around 15km into the race my equipment couldn’t cope with the harsh conditions anymore. I was forced to stop with chain suck and clogged up tyres and gears. This would be my story for the day as I repeatedly stopped to clear mud from my drive train, just so I could keep moving. In the last 3rd of the race I was forced to ride in my big chainring as the chainsuck was just too much. I didn’t give up fighting as I moved up and down the field like a yo-yo with all my mechanical stops, but eventually all I could do was try to get to the finish line without breaking my chain.

I was very relieved when I finally crossed the finish line and still managed to hold onto 3rd place.
I am sure every rider has his/her own war story to tell as the weather conditions made for quite a battle on the day. Like they say, any experience is a valuable experience as long as you learn something from it. I learned that you have to keep mud tyres close by and that your drivetrain is in good working condition otherwise it might be a long day in the saddle (or on foot) in muddy conditions.

I feel sorry for the organisers as the weather sadly can make or break your event. Judging by all the marshals out on route, the professional race venue at Karkloof Polo Club and the good course they deserved to have a successful day. I guess I’ll have to go back next year to experience Karkloof as it should be.

Final Results:
1st         Jeannie Bomford
2nd        Ashleigh Parker Moffatt
3rd         Yolandi du Toit


No comments: