Monday, August 18, 2008

ROUTE DE FRANCE “Feminine”



Sunday, 10/08

Prologue - 3,2km

It was very short; I am not a great sprinter but

still gave my best. I felt good and I know I gave everything. For me that’s the most important. I

miss having a TT-bike here though. . My team mate finished 2nd and got the mountain jersey. So tomorrow we will have to try and keep it!

Monday, 11/08

Stage 1 – 82km









It was a short stage but didn’t make the racing any easier (AVG – 39, 4 km /h). The weather

wasn’t really nice. It started raining early in the morning and kept on raining throughout the day.

It’s terrible to start in the rain but once you’re racing its not that bad. I enjoyed working with

my team it gives me something to race hard for. We had to go with every break that goes down

the road. Grace (my team mate) held onto her jersey.

Tuesday, 12/08

Stage 2– 116,6km

The rain hasn’t stop falling here in France and they’re predicting rain throughout the rest of the week. One day in rain is enjoyable but more….

I don’t mind rain if the roads handle it okay but the roads were so slippery that my wheels slipped each time I stand to pedal over a clime.

Grace started in the mountain jersey. Each team member worked really hard and at the end of the day Grace moved into yellow. I am happy for her and the team.

But I know there is hard work that lies ahead.

Wednesday, 13/08

Stage 3 – 110,2 km

Today we started without rain. There were a few drops falling later on, but luckily not enough to make the roads slippery. It was a hard day trying to keep the jersey but unfortunately we lost it. My knee is giving me trouble again because of the hard racing over the last few days. I am not sure if I will be able to start tomorrow. Will go for a little ride in the morning and see how my knee feels.

Thursday, 14/08

Stage 4- 138,5 km

I decided to at least try and race and I am glad I did.

I didn’t enjoy the race itself because I was arguing with myself whether what I am doing is good or bad for me in the long run, Must I stop or continue. All these thoughts running

through my head just made the race feel extra long. I was so happy to finish. I didn’t think I would and now thinking back it actually makes me sad that I am racing only to finish.

I also ended up in a small crash. My team mate came up to me to give me a bottle which she was carrying in her back pocket and just when I took it out, She touched wheels with the girl in front of her and we both ended up crashing. Afterwards I found it very funny, because just imagine only two lotto girls lying on the ground.

Friday, 15/08

Stage 5- 130km

With my knee I am racing day to day seeing how my knee feels

and my team knows that, so they try to use me as long as I am

there to help. Think I will have to change my name after this

tour, I got so tired of hearing “yolandi” At some points I felt like

screaming on the radio that I am not the only girl in the team.

But it makes sense why they use me it’s just so hardJ. My knee

felt better and the stage suited me more today. It was long

gradual climes which I love and it also doesn’t hurt my knee so much.


Saturday, 16/08

Stage 6- 25 km individual TT

It’s was a good circuit. It had one 3km gradual clime in and one 1.2km steeper clime. I found a

good rhythm, which I am glad for because it doesn’t happen a lot in TT. I also couldn’t use my

powertap as guidance. I broke my wheel in a previous crash. On the last clime my chain dropped

off the 23 gear and got stuck between my wheel and gears. They change my wheel to predict it from happening again.

Sunday, 17/08

Stage 7- 100km

The only think I can say about the stage is that I

am glad it’s over. Every team wanted to win the

last stage, which made the stage unnecessary

hard after such a long tour…

No comments: