Monday, August 4, 2008


Sparkassen Giro, UCI 1.1



This past weekend I travelled to Bochum, Germany to take part in the Sparkassen Giro (UCI 1.1).

There were a few events held on the Saturday, as a warm up for the woman and men’s race on the Sunday which also included a Criterium race for the woman.

Saturday -58km (3,6km ×16 times.)

I really enjoyed the circuit, especially the corners. You didn’t need to slow down to much which made the racing smooth and fast. Unfortunately my European luck stepped in and I got a flat wheel 3 laps to go. On a small circuit race like that you aren’t allowed to change and get back in. I was really disappointed, especially because the finish was so close. Luckily there was still the main race left on Sunday.

Sunday – 98km (14,6km × 6times).

I also enjoyed the circuit a lot. You basically climbed for 7km and then descended for 7km, crossing the finishing line 200m after a 90 degrees right hand turn at the bottom of the descent. With almost 200 starters it’s quite a scary experience fighting for a spot in the front going into the corner especially the finishing lap.

I felt good and comfortable on my bike for the first time since I’ve been here. Finished in the first group, 46th.

Think a rest week was all I needed.







No comments: