Monday, May 18, 2009


MAGOEBASKLOOF & INTERPROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIP
(16, 17 MEI)

We had quite a busy but successful weekend. Personally, it’s great to have a race schedule and organised team again. It seems we’re racing every weekend and also getting the opportunity to see new places.
On Friday we travelled to Tzaneen, a small town east of Polokwane (Pietersburg). I was fascinated by the sudden change in landscape. The flat and dry area of Polokwane was replaced by mountainous forests and lush greenery as we got closer to Tzaneen.

Although the scenery was beautiful, I found the racing very tough. We started with the men and 30km into the race we reached the bottom of the Magoebaskloof climb in a small group.
The 10km climb served as the launch pad for the Konica Minolta men’s team to ride away from everyone else.
I went over the climb at my own tempo and made contact with a small group on the downhill, which should have made things easier for me. Unfortunately one of the 3guys I had caught up to felt intimidated by a ladies presence. He attacked several times in an effort to get rid of me.
With 10km to go I had enough and let them go, leaving me to ride in for a victory alongside the men’s team.

On Sunday the team headed to the Interprovincial which was held south of Johannesburg. The course consisted of 3x 30km loops.
Cold and windy conditions made the racing difficult on a very flat circuit.

I started with the junior men and after some tough racing, I managed to get another victory for the team.
This coming weekend the team will head north again for the Bela Bela Classic and hopefully some warmer weather racing.

No comments: