Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tour D ‘urban

I’m back! Tour D’urban was my first race back with my ‘brand new’ (old) team. I am happy to announce that I will be riding with Konica Minolta for the remainder of this year.

It’s great to be back with the team that I had a lot of success with. I hope to pick up where I left off and go on to even greater things. It will be good to repay them with some victories for the faith that they have shown in me!

On Friday I travelled down to Durban with the team. It is a wonderful feeling to be part of a team again, especially when everything is well planned and organised.

Just to give you an example we had all our food prepared for us over the weekend. We even got lunch boxes for the trip down to Durban. On race day, our race food and water bottles were prepared, our bikes were ready, and all we had to do was concentrate on the race. All this and much more behind the scenes work was done by a management team of only two people – John (manager/mechanic/directeur sportif etc) and Nicolene (soigneur/PA/motivator etc). Thanks guys!!!

We are only 2 girls on Konica Minolta this year, Michelle Corbett and I. By being only two it makes things really special; you get to know one another well and have to trust each other more, because you only have each other to rely on during races. She is still very young, but really talented. Only 18 years of age, a time in one’s life where you can only learn....

Our race started off at 6:30am Sunday morning. The Elite woman, junior woman and under 16 boys all started together. The group stayed intact until the main climb of the day (around 20 km into the race). There it got broken up in bits and this was where a small group of 5 girls got away and stayed away until the finish. I missed the split and ended up in the chasing group and sadly couldn’t take part in the sprint due to my handlebars that came loose. I am the only one to blame, because I received a new bike and didn’t check if everything was properly tightened – never too old to learn I suppose!

I haven’t been racing much on the road this year. Tour D’urban was only my 3rd road race for the season. I am looking forward to getting back into racing…on and off road!

No comments: