Monday, April 23, 2012


Mr Price Karkloof Classic

I haven’t been able to cycle since the Absa Cape Epic as I was recovering from an injury I picked up during the event. 

Being a professional athlete you have to try and keep your fitness as best as possible. For this reason I’ve been going to the gym and walking on a daily basis. Although I got to excise, I still missed riding my bike and being outdoors.

This past Saturday I finally got the green light to start riding again and decided to take part in the Karkloof Classic. With not having ridden at all for the last three weeks I knew it would be best to enter for the half-marathon. Better to tip your toe in the water than to jump in the deep end and drown.  

I won the marathon event last year and therefore felt a bit sad at first not to be able to defend my title but this feeling was soon over shadowed when I was set off in my event.

It was great to be back on the bike again especially with my comeback race being Karkloof. The event is very well known for its amazing and fun single track and it didn’t disappoint.  With the entire course mainly consisting of single track we had all forms of single track to enjoy. From rocky to smooth to technical, you name it - I am sure we had it!
In all of my races to date I’ve been pushed off single track and cut off before going into single track at least 3 times during an event but not this time... I was racing up front alongside the u/16 and junior men and was amazed by the respect they showed towards a lady in the field. I know at their age you are fearless and therefore they fly through single track. But if I sat at the front going into the single track they will leave me there and not once did they shout to come past me. Even when I made way for them to pass as I know they are faster than me they would only reply” no no you go in front”. 

It was a pleasure racing alongside them and although it was only the half-marathon, I was still happy to be the first lady across the finish line.

No comments: