Monday, April 30, 2012


Spar Forest2Falls

It’s been a while since I made the trip down to the Lowveld for a MTB race. I always look forward to riding in the beautiful forestry the area has on offer.
The Forest2Falls MTB race was held at the Mac Mac forest retreat camping site situated half-way   between Sabie and Graskrop. The name says it all.....
In the 75km marathon event we were set off at 8am to do the half marathon route of 35km first before continuing through the finish line onto another more challenging 40km route.

We were truly spoiled on the half marathon route with loads of jeep and single track over rolling terrain in pristine pine forests. One section even included riding past the Mac Mac waterfalls. Unfortunately I could only steal a glimpse before I had to put my head down and race again.
The last 40km circuit consisted mainly of two climbs and the descents which followed. I am sure I wasn’t the only one regretting going too fast during the first 35km and not saving more energy for the two major climbs towards the end.

I forgot how hilly the Lowveld is but was harshly reminded on the 2 climbs which was around 8-10km each. I managed to take the lead at the beginning of the race and held my position until the end to cross the line in first place.

I feel fortunate to be the winner of such a great event as the Forest2Falls!! 

No comments: