Thursday, June 27, 2013

Craft Bike TransAlp, 14-20 July

The TransAlp is a 7 day mountain bike stage race traversing the majestic European Alps.
The event starts in Mittenwald, Germany from where it moves into Austria for a couple of days and then into Italy finishing at Riva del Garda.

Over the period of 7 days riders will climb a total of 20490m. From what I’ve heard you basically climb for a couple of hours and then descend, repeat this a few times all the way to the finish.

It’s been 5 years since I last visited Europe and this year I was very fortunate when a good friend of mine, Aurelie Halbwachs, invited me to join her for The Carft Bike TransAlp. We have completed  the Joberg2C (9 day event) together and also two Omnicane Southern Tropical Challenges (4 day event).  However, it will be the first TransAlp that Aurelie and I take part in, and whatever happens it will be a memorable experience for us.


In the past I’ve spent 4 years racing my road bike in Europe but this will be my first trip racing on fat tyres. Recently I have been doing a lot of hill training to be a bit more prepared for the Alps and will take part at the Nissan Trailseeker Cullinan as my final build up to the event.






No comments: