Tuesday, June 4, 2013

First Ascent Big Induna Mountain Bike Race

The Big Induna is an event I look forward to every year. The race has a great course on offer in beautiful surroundings and a warm winter climate. What more can a rider want?

This year’s edition of the Big Induna presented some extra excitement for both rider and spectator as it incorporated the SA National Marathon Championships.   Seeing that Induna Adventures has put together a world class route over the years, the event proved to be an ideal match to crown  SA’s Champions.

The 73km marathon route consisted of 2 loops. The first loop was 36km long and took us through the start/finish area before the final 39km long loop.  A large proportion of the route was laid out on technical single track. This truly puts one’s bike handling ability to the test as it wasn’t on open, flowing single track but instead very twisty with sharp corners. 

The race started out well for me. On the first lap I was part of the lead group together with Robyn de Groot, Samantha Sanders and Candice Neethling.  We missed one of the direction arrows along the route and lost quite a bit of time as we made our way back onto the course. (Hope that answers your question to, do you guys get to see the views when you’re racingJ) Once back on course we found ourselves back in 5th- 8th position. This also meant the battle for the lead had to start all over again.

We really put the hammer down as we tried to make up the lost ground. Luckily just before completing the first loop we were back into the leading positions.

Throughout the first loop though I felt like a yo-yo as I couldn’t stay with Robyn, Candice and Samantha on the tricky single track sections. For some reason I didn’t feel as agile and in control of my bike as I normally do. Eventually the chasing back got the better of me and I lost sight of them for the last time during the 2nd loop as they yet again disappeared on one of the technical sections.  With Yolande Speedy and Amy MacDougall chasing just behind me there were no time to take a breather and I had to force myself to keep pushing hard until the very end.  It was a mixture of emotions when I crossed the finish line in 4th place at the end. One of them was definitely relief that the suffering was finally over.

Robyn de Groot had a sterling ride taking the victory on the day, thus making her the SA Marathon Champion for 2013. Local hero Samantha Sanders finish in 2nd place with Candice Neethling rounding out the podium in 3rd place proving that her European racing is paying some dividends.  

Every year I enjoy the route so much that I convince myself that the route suits me quite well only to discover that I had more ambition than ability.  I’ll have to add some cross country racing to my race program to be more prepared for next year’s eventJ.

Final Results:
1st           Robyn de Groot
2nd          Samantha Sanders
3rd           Candice Neethling
4th           Yolandi du Toit

5th           Janine King

No comments: