Tuesday, May 25, 2010

CAPTION: Team bizhub’s Yolandi du Toit signed off the first part of the season with overall victory in the two-day N3TC Greytown Classic mountain bike race.


Issued by:
Coetzee Gouws
2009/05/25

Du Toit signs off in fine fashion

Team bizhub’s in-form Yolandi du Toit signed off the first half of the season with a hard-earned overall victory in the two-day N3TC Greytown Classic mountain bike race that finished on Sunday.

Du Toit won Saturday’s first stage over 60 kilometres in 2:56:49 and Sunday’s, over 45, in 2:22:53 for a combined time of 5:19:43.

Team Jeep’s Jean Hackland (3:03:15; 2:29:18; 5:32:33) was a close second with Cycle Lab’s Brenda Potts (3:10:03; 2:35:12; 5:45:16) completing the podium.

The lanky 24-year-old from Heidelberg in Gauteng was made to fight hard in the early stages of both days. “I had to ride very aggressively to stay ahead of Jean on the first day,” said Du Toit, who is known more for her endurance than technical prowess.

“The stage started with single track and I immediately took the lead, but she caught up with me after about three kilometres and from that moment I had to give everything.”

Even though she was in yellow, Du Toit said she was not overly confident going into the second day. “Some of the other riders’ technical abilities are superb and the course suited them more than me. I just tried my best and fortunately that was good enough.”

Du Toit, who recently dominated the inaugural Fairbairn Capital/Old Mutual joBerg2c with team-mate Lise Olivier, said she would now take some time off before focusing on a “busy” second half of the year.

“It’s fantastic to go into the winter break with some good results behind my name. If the boss is happy, I’m happy,” she joked.

Despite a hectic racing schedule over the past few months, Du Toit attributed her good form to being reasonably fresh.

“I fell ill after joBerg2c, which forced me to take a few days off. I think that rest came at just the right time. I’m already looking forward to the second half of the season.”

No comments: