Friday, May 28, 2010

My Diary

Last weekend I was in Greytown for the town’s annual Mountain bike festival. As the main attraction the mountain bike race consisted out of 2 stages held over 2 consecutive days.

For those who don’t know, Greytown is a small town in the Kwazulu-Natal area, close to Ladysmith. The trip down there took us a good 5:30 hours which included the ritual ‘Wimpy’ stop. A road trip with out a Wimpy coffee is just not worth going on 

I traveled to the event with our team mechanic, Ruan and his wife Sasha in the team’s 2 seater delivery van.
This gave me the opportunity to spend some time with my bike (and all the mechanic’s equipment) at the back before tackling the 2 day stage race. Aaagh, the perks of being a pro athlete…

As we drove drown on the N3 it was a good feeling seeing the temperature rise as we got closer to Greytown.
The whole weekend we had great weather with the temperature reaching a high of 26 degrees. This is amazing if you consider the fact that we are bordering on winter.

The event was very well organized and I was surprised….. (Okay and also jealous!) by all the Mountain biking trials in that area. The race route was mainly on single track through tree plantations, all around the hills of Greytown. Come to think of it we actually spent a total of 105km on single track which made it even more special for me to win both stages and the overall.

I arrived back home Sunday night and early Monday morning I was sitting behind a desk writing my first examination paper. Luckily the week went by quickly and I am happy to say that I am also now finished with my exams

The team’s next race is Kremetart which takes place on the 5th of June,meaning I get to stay at home this weekend. This morning I had a look at my Calendar and realized that the last time I had a weekend at home was the weekend of the 27th of March.
So I am looking forward to being at home…

No comments: