Wednesday, May 19, 2010

MTN CROSS COUNTRY SERIES, GEORGE


Even though I have been mountain biking for some years, this past weekend I participated in a Cross Country event for the FIRST time.
Although you still race your mountain bike it is a totally different experience.

The event took place at Saasveld College on the outskirts of George. The college is well known seeing that it hosts several mountain bike races during the year. Once you’ve ridden the trails around Saasveld it will become clear as to why it is such a popular venue. The trails are actually built by a handful of people who simply have a passion for the sport.

Their job also doesn’t stop once it’s built as they actually maintain it through literally sweeping and tidying on a regular basis.

My event took place on the Saturday and for that reason I decided to fly down on the Wednesday so I could spend some time riding on the circuit. I could feel that the more I rode on the course, the easier it became. Especially because I had the opportunity to follow some riders who are a lot more skilled than me and who don’t mind teaching me the finer details about mountain biking.

I enjoyed training on the circuit in the days leading up to my event, its just a great feeling to be able to prepare for an event and see yourself improve daily as you gain a bit more confidence.

All die ladies from under 16 upwards started together and we had to complete 6 laps of the 5km long circuit. As we were set off it was a flat out 200m sprint for placing into the single track. This being my first time competing in a cross country event I found myself around the back between the under 16 girls.

It didn’t make me nervous as I knew whatever happened I could only learn from the experience. I turned my focus to riding as smooth and consistent as I possibly could. On every lap I managed to pass a few girls and consequently move up in the placings to finish 3rd in the Elite Category.

I really enjoyed the event and I am looking forward to competing in more Cross country events in the future.

Elite Woman Results:

1st Ester Cluer (Team Jeep)
2nd Yolande Speedy (Team MTN)
3rd Yolandi du Toit (Team Bizhub)

No comments: