Sunday, June 8, 2008

The 2008 Winter Challenge



This weekend I had no team obligations, which gave me the opportunity to do my training as I wanted.

And because I’m almost leaving for Europe, with my first race on the 17th of June (Grande boucle feminine International), I had to set my mind at ease and do a road race before I go over to see how my legs are responding and what type of training I need to do in my last week for final preparation.

The venue was at Stonehaven on Vaal,Vanderbijlpark. With most of the rider’s being local, it brought back a lot of memories; I use loved doing these races when I was younger. And must admit I still do J

Everyone that was doing the 80km started together. Pieter seyffert and Shaun Davel read the race perfectly and broke away 5km into the race. We never saw them again.

We formed a chasing group of 30 riders. And most of us stayed together till the end. I was lucky to be the only girl in the front group with no competition which favored me a lot because I could help working whenever I felt I had to power to do so. Not worrying whether I am spending too much. I wanted to use this race as hard training for Europe.

I finished 1st lady and 6th overall.

No comments: