Saturday, June 7, 2008

ROOIBERG ECO CHALLENGE


Rooiberg Eco Challenge

Not only was the main sponsor Garmin-DCM, but also was the race held in Rooiberg, which lies in a bowl surrounded by the foothills of the Waterberg, Limpopo Province.

It was a beautiful event and well organized. I think I speak for my whole team if I say that it’s a warming feeling arriving at a race, seeing your teams name everywhere (it also turns up the pressure an extra knotJ)

It was 2 days of racing with Day 1 - 70km and Day 2 - 80km

I road mixed category with Nick mallandain and the rolling plains with rocky hills where going the make it truly challenging.

Nick and I road really well as a team, I learned a lot from him in every stage. His technical skills are amazing and whenever there were technical parts he would talk me through it and teach me along the way. Having a guy beside you setting the pace makes you go just that extra bit faster. He was truly a gentleman waiting for me on the technical parts or picking me up literally from the ground.

The first day we crossed the line first with a lead more than 30 min in front of the next mixed team. It made the next day a bit easier for us but being competitive cyclist you always find some competition along the way. And we ended up playing cat and mouse with Tanya Raats and her team mate. But luckily got a gap on the sandy sections and moved out of sight.

We won both days, and I am looking forward racing with Nick again. I think racing in a mixed team is really something special and different. There is a different kind of respect between you and your partner.

No comments: